Common Causes of Car Accident in New York
- Distracted Driving: Being engaged in activities like texting, talking on the phone, eating, or adjusting the radio can divert attention from the road.
- Speeding: Driving above the speed limit reduces reaction time and increases the severity of accidents.
- Drunk Driving: Operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs significantly impairs judgment and coordination.
- Reckless Driving: This includes aggressive behaviors like tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, and ignoring traffic signs or signals.
- Weather Conditions: Rain, snow, fog, or ice can reduce visibility and create slippery roads, leading to accidents.
- Fatigue: Driving while tired or drowsy can impair reaction time and decision-making abilities.
- Poor Road Conditions: Potholes, uneven surfaces, or lack of proper signage can contribute to accidents.
- Mechanical Failures: Issues with brakes, tires, steering, or other parts of the vehicle can cause accidents.
- Inexperienced Drivers: Lack of experience or proper training can lead to errors and poor decision-making on the road.
Understanding these common causes can help drivers take precautions and be more vigilant on the road to prevent accidents.
When Do You Need Best Car Accident Lawyer in NYC
If you find yourself injured in a car accident, seeking legal counsel is a crucial step. It’s essential to remember: never offer a statement, whether verbal or written, to the opposing party’s insurance representative.
They operate with their interests in mind, not yours. Verbal statements get recorded and written ones can be used against you, especially if the case goes to trial. The initial action you should take is contacting an experienced car accident attorney.
However, in cases where only the vehicle sustains damage, handling the car repair or replacement might not necessitate legal involvement, and you may resolve it independently.
The New York car accident lawyer at M Law Firm specialize in:
- Head-On Collision
- Single-Vehicle Accident
- Hit and Run Accident
- Drunk Driving Accident
- Speeding Accident
- Reckless Driving Accident
- Distracted Driving
- Blind Spot Accident
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Rollover Accidents
- Wrong Way Crashes
What Happened If Other Car Driver Was Uninsured?
If you’re involved in a car accident where the other driver is uninsured, it can complicate matters, especially regarding financial responsibility. Here are a few scenarios that could occur:
- Your Insurance Coverage: Your own insurance policy might include uninsured motorist coverage. This coverage helps protect you in situations where the at-fault driver doesn’t have insurance or enough insurance to cover the damages. Your insurance company might handle the costs, up to the limit of your coverage.
- Paying Out of Pocket: If you don’t have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage or if it’s insufficient to cover the damages, you might end up having to pay for the repairs or medical bills out of your pocket. This can be financially challenging and frustrating, especially if the accident wasn’t your fault.
- Legal Recourse: You might choose to take legal action against the uninsured driver to recover the costs. However, if the driver doesn’t have insurance, they might not have sufficient assets to cover the expenses.
- State Laws and Penalties: Some states have laws requiring drivers to have a minimum level of insurance coverage. If the other driver is found to be at fault and uninsured, they might face penalties such as fines, license suspension, or other legal consequences.
Dealing with an uninsured driver can be stressful. It’s essential to understand your own insurance coverage and, if possible, consult legal or insurance professionals to explore your options in such situations.
We Handle All Car Accident Cases in New York City
At Munawar Law Group PLLC, we represent clients who have been injured in:
- Rear-end collisions
- Highway crashes
- Interstate crashes
- Single-vehicle crashes
- Multiple Vehicle crashes
- Speeding accidents
- Intersection accidents
- Uber accidents
- Lyft accidents
- Truck accidents
Don’t hesitate to contact our compassionate team to learn about your legal options after a car accident in New York City.
What Should I Do After Car Accident in NYC
If you’re involved in a car accident in New York City, here are the essential steps to take:
- Ensure Safety: Check for injuries and move to a safe location if possible. Turn on hazard lights and, if necessary, call 911 for medical assistance.
- Notify the Police: Call the police to report the accident, especially if there are injuries, significant property damage, or if you suspect the other party is under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Obtain a copy of the police report.
- Exchange Information: Exchange information with the other driver involved, including names, contact information, insurance details, and vehicle information (make, model, and license plate number).
- Document the Scene: Take photos of the accident scene, including vehicle damage, injuries, road conditions, and traffic signs or signals. Note down the location, time, and date of the accident.
- Get Witness Information: If there are witnesses, obtain their names and contact information. Their statements could be valuable for insurance claims or legal proceedings.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you don’t feel injured, it’s wise to seek medical evaluation. Some injuries might not be immediately apparent but could manifest later.
- Notify Your Insurance Company: Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. Provide them with accurate details about the incident.
- Consult an Attorney: If you’re unsure about your rights or the extent of your claim, consider consulting a lawyer experienced in car accidents in NYC.
- Preserve Evidence: Keep all documents related to the accident, including medical records, repair estimates, and communications with insurance companies or legal representatives.
- Adhere to Legal Requirements: New York has specific laws regarding reporting accidents and insurance requirements. Ensure you comply with these legal obligations.
Remember, staying calm and collected after an accident can help you gather vital information and ensure you take the necessary steps to protect yourself legally and physically.
What Damages Can You Recovers After a New York Car Accident
In New York, after a car accident, you may be eligible to recover various damages, including:
- Medical Expenses: This covers all medical costs related to the accident, including hospital bills, surgeries, medication, rehabilitation, and future medical expenses.
- Lost Income: If the accident caused you to miss work, you can claim compensation for lost wages, including future earnings if your injuries affect your ability to work.
- Property Damage: This includes the repair or replacement costs for your vehicle or any other property damaged in the accident.
Pain and Suffering: Non-economic damages like physical pain, emotional distress, and psychological trauma resulting from the accident.
- Loss of Consortium: This refers to compensation for the negative impact the accident may have on the relationship between the injured person and their spouse or family members.
- Punitive Damages: In rare cases involving extreme negligence or intentional misconduct, the court may award punitive damages to punish the at-fault party.
- Wrongful Death Damages: In cases where the accident results in a fatality, the family of the deceased may seek compensation for funeral expenses, loss of financial support, and emotional suffering.
Types of Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents can result in various types of injuries, ranging from mild to severe. Some common types of car accident injuries include:
- Head and Brain Injuries
- Broken Bones and Fractures
- Back Injuries
- Cuts, Scrapes, and Bruises
- Internal Injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Emotional and Psychological Trauma
- Fatal Injuries
Car Accident Statute Of Limitations In New York
In New York, the statute of limitations for filing a car accident lawsuit is generally three years from the date of the accident. This means you have a three-year window to initiate legal proceedings against the at-fault party for personal injuries or property damage resulting from the car accident.
It’s crucial to adhere to this time limit because if you file a lawsuit after the statute of limitations has expired, the court will likely dismiss your case, and you may lose the right to seek compensation.
However, there might be exceptions to this time limit depending on the circumstances of the case. For instance, if the accident involved a government entity, such as a city vehicle, the procedures and time limits for filing a claim could differ.
Consulting with a personal injury lawyer in New York who specializes in New York car accident cases can help ensure you understand and comply with the specific statute of limitations relevant to your situation.
Car Accident Lawyers in Your Area – Find the Right One for Your Case
As a car accident attorney, it is important to access the most up-to-date information on your case. It is also important to know where to find the best car accident lawyer in your area.
The right lawyer for your case will be able to provide you with legal advice and assistance.
- A lawyer who is suitable to handle your case can offer legal advice and guidance.
- They will assist you in filing claims as well as discuss with insurance companies and handle any other issues that might arise in the course of the process.
We at Munawar Law Group, PLLC know how stressful the aftermath of a severe injury can feel. Allow us to put our over 50 years of legal expertise to help you.
We do not charge any costs unless you get what you want. No matter if you’re suffering from injuries to yourself or someone else, We’re here to help settle every aspect of your case to ensure that you can focus on getting back to work. We decided to assist you in solving your issue to allow you to focus on your job—more than a decade’s experience in this field.
Our group is one of the top skilled lawyers for car accidents in New York City. With over a decade’s experience in the area, we are one of the leading car accident lawyers in New York City.
From Queens to Brooklyn, We Represent Accident victims across the Five Boroughs. We’ll arrange for an initial consultation for free, where you’ll be able to inquire about your case, express concerns, and discover what options you have to consider going forward.
What can you expect from us as Your law attorney lawyer?
The role of a car accident lawyer is to ensure that the legal system is fair for all involved parties. They represent their clients through negotiations with insurance companies, help victims recover from their injuries and losses, and help defend defendants in court if they are accused of causing an accident. Car accident lawyers can be hired by either party involved in an accident case or by someone who has been injured due to one. Our attorneys first listen to you, the client, and then provide sound legal guidance based on our extensive knowledge and experience.
What is the Legal Process from a Personal Injury Case?
The legal process of a personal injury case can be overwhelming. It involves filing an insurance claim and then waiting for the process to move forward. After filing for an auto insurance claim, the next step is receiving the settlement check. The check may be taxable depending on your state, so it is important to consult with your tax professional.